It was cold. It was raining. Van asked us to strip off all of our sweaters, coats and any other proper clothing, so that people can see the name of the brand printed in the front of our T-shirts. “It must be in-your-face that kind of recognizable,” Van declared, hardly able to conceal his excitement. As a result, you saw clutters of people crowded together shivering for warmth. And you saw Van’s beer belly really in-your-face that kind of recognizably stood out when he’s giving his story on stage. (We actually had an argument among ourselves whether or not to phone him on stage and warm him. But we decided it’d be much more fun not to.) I personally found it kinda ironic considering all that’s for a proper “image”. But again, what do I know?
Dearest friends,
TED stands for technology, entertainment and design. It’s an annual conference that invites each speaker on stage for 18 minutes with themes aspire to change the world. When Van first asked me if I ever heard of TED. I was like “Ted? My ex-roommate in Bushwick? I didn’t know he had a representative here.” Little did I know it’s something that nearly froze me to death.
Van Lin, my boss, was invited to give a speech at an independently organized TED event. They put an x at the end of TED. So that people can tell it’s “not” the real thing. Now, don’t judge me. My job as an employee is to ridicule my boss’ every decision and every single movement.
The event was held at Huashan1914 Creative Park. The main event (the speeches) was last Saturday. The ticket for the non-profit TED conference was US$100 for one man with full access. There’s also a related exhibition (free) that went on for an additional week.
To be frank, I was bored. Even writing the last three paragraphs made me feel like nf;o@j (that means I dozed off on the keyboard.) I saw people dressed in fancy and chic clothes. I heard people talk in Taiwanese, English, Japanese, and some languages unknown to me. I heard people make new acquaintances, possible business opportunities. I heard speaker talking about topics well-presented and seemingly meaningful. It’s all very positive and inspiring. But yet, I just, now I don’t know if I should say this, but I felt, that none of that, really had anything to do with me. In my defense, I just want to point out that sometimes, it could be hard for me to imagine the world people say it is. I just don’t, feel it. If I may venture to speak the truth from my aspect, optimism and possibility sometimes can seem, just a little, surreal.
I was working quietly so as not to disturb the audience. All of a sudden, amid all the boredom, waves of tickling silver bells softly yet brightly rose and floated in the room. A man and a small group of little girls wearing aboriginal outfits went on stage. And when they opened their mouths to sing, boy, I heard heaven. I was stunned. And even now I have no idea how to describe that experience. Because right there, right then, everything stopped. I was not thinking, I could not think, I heard nothing but their beautiful voice singing lullabies handed down by infant memories when mothers from Mt. Tai-wu centuries ago sang these songs to their new-borns, wishing their children grow up to be brave warriors and swift weavers. They brought all pieces of me together and drown me with the songs. I was IN the songs! I can still sense the heartbreaking singing still ringing in the back of my head. And I believe somewhere in the mountains, they still do.
I was glad they dimmed the light for the dramatic effect. So people didn't see me quickly wipe away a drop of tear or two. It’s not that I was sentimental. It’s just too unexpected. I did not expect to be waken when I intended to numb myself with negativity. I did not expect to be seen, seen and consumed by the power of music, when I turned my back and prepared to stand aloof. I suppose my mind was staggering aloft, but the songs pulled me back down. Then I recognized the insincerity of me and I was ashamed.
The man that coached the choir was Camake Valaule. I was quiet for a brief moment. But then I had to get back to work. I hadn’t had time to reflect on that moment for the rest of the conference. Of course, people cheered and bravoed like mad. But that instant was not shared but individually given.
The main idea of the event was hope, hope for the next decade. Will we learn like babies? What’s the cause of clean water? Globalization and all that. I don’t know how I should commend on those. And I just don’t know how to verbalize that singing, so original and particular. It’s something not named, impossible to name, something powerful, touching, beautiful, but not named. I suppose some things were not meant to be recorded and spread. Some things were not meant to be written down by words. Some things had to be lived, lived and witnessed. And when you do, they put something in your head, and it’s not to be forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment