Lately, I grew fond of an iced tea called Arizona. It comes
in beer cans, and can easily make the drinker a seemingly inappropriate
alcoholic. I sometimes take two at a time. I especially like to fondle the
emptied cans: it was made in Woodbury, NY. I like the state initial, New York,
new year, nude yeah.
Dearest friends,
I was assigned to a place called Mount Da-han shortly after
I turned eighteen. I can still vaguely recall my first ride there. I had just
finished my three-year military training/high school education. I still
remember how I kept hoping that there might be something that would whisk me
out of my destiny. But three years had passed, I could not get out. So you can
probably imagine how doomed I must feel when I got on that mini bus, and sat
staring out the window as the bus rocked its way deep into the woods, onto the
very top of the mountain.
There was no female member at the
base. Because it was stationed too remotely out of civic contact, it was kept
strictly a men’s place due to personnel safety concern. But what do they talk
about when two hundred men were shut off behind tall walls and away from home?
Women. Sometimes, I was relieved that my job required me to work alone in a
sealed off two feet square space so that I wouldn’t need to endure the
embarrassment when someone tells the story of how he barebacked a hooker. It
seemed like a jail cell, but it felt like a protection.
I started learning English by
myself when I was here. Because I couldn’t sleep, like always, I spent a lot of
time reading.
I found out I had always had
insomnia. It had gotten worst when I couldn’t sleep at all that I finally seek
professional help only to find out that it’s not normal for a man to spend two
hours awake in bed trying to sleep ever since he’s a child.
Every thing was built solid heavy
for a reason. When a storm blows, the place was a crazy show. One night, I had
to make to the decipher room during a typhoon. I couldn’t see a thing. All I
saw was the wind blowing, taking physical form, visible like mad, as if
conducted by charm. I couldn’t stand up straight. I accidentally fell, and the
next thing I knew, I was fifty meters away, on the edge of the helicopter
hanger where the invisible deep void of the mountain was just a few steps away.
When the day is clear, really
clear, I could see miles and miles of tree land lining till the far end of my
sight, and I wouldn’t see a trace of human civilization. At night, I could see
the milky way, and piles of gem-like lights from the far away cities. Or the
moon, sitting above the cloud, like a king, demanding awe and worship.
Sometimes, the base would get
gulfed by the cloud, and I would feel like that I was the only one in the
chaos, breathing water from the air, eye lashes wet, but strangely peaceful and
content, like a fish.
There was an accident a few years
back before I got there to Mount Da-han. A truck couldn’t manage the narrow
path and tumbled down the mountain. All men on board were killed. No rescue
teem could come to aide. So the men at the base had to do the rescue
themselves. They said several bodies were flattened, leaving nothing but the
skin, bones and skin. And they said they couldn’t wash away, the smell of
blood.
I liked it when it turns into Fall.
The leaves would turn to red, yellow, brown, and gold. Then I could imagine I
was in a Bronte story. It helped if I closed my eyes, and felt the bus rock its
way down. People sleep during the trip. But I didn’t. I stayed awake and
imagined.
Nearly three years after I was
assigned to the post, I got transferred to an even further away island. There
was a tradition: whoever leaves the base, either retirement, resignation or
transfer, had to bid the brothers died in the accident goodbye. The driver let
me off and waited for me a few feet from the stone plate that marked how many
people were killed but no names. I lighted three cigarettes for the departed
and put the rest of the pack before the stone. I said farewell and thought to
myself how horrible it would be to be on the trip riding on and on, with no
end, no light, and no cigarette.

No comments:
Post a Comment